Published 2014-05-02 @ 12:00
I realize that is has been a hellishly long time since I last updated this thing.
When last we met I brain-dumped most of my emacs setup and then promptly disappeared. I know that at least a few of you have used that to good effect and that’s been encouraging.
But since then, I’ve had some fun.
I’ve done 63 gem releases in the last 6ish months, mostly thanks to a bunch of generous contributors. In all it includes 6 major, 109 minor, and 65 bug fixes. Fan-fucking-tastic! This brings a bunch of my more stable projects up to date for 2.0 & 2.1: autotest-rails, flog, graph, image_science, minitest-bacon, minitest-focus, minitest_tu_shim, omnifocus, omnifocus-github, rubygems-sandbox, RubyInline, vlad, ZenTest, and ZenWeb.
I spent a lot of time focusing on 2 of my favorite gems: hoe & minitest.
Hoe & Minitest
Hoe makes it a breeze to manage all my gems and really is the reason why I can do what I do with so many projects. It is incredibly important to me that my projects don’t have any duplication across them. By using Hoe, any changes that happen across my projects happen in one place only. DRY at its finest.
Minitest went through a complete rewrite for version 5 early last year. Thanks to a lot of people for contributing to minitest and helping make it what it is today. The architecture is vastly improved over minitest 4 and it shows. Ever since the v5 rewrite, I absolutely love this project and thank you all for it.
ruby_parser has seen some serious love in that time, as well as some love for its supporting projects.
For the supporting projects, sexp_processor got some nice refactorings from other projects, including adding MethodBasedSexpProcessor from Flog. ruby2ruby was extended to 2.0 and 2.1 support. The nice thing about these guys was how cleanly designed they were to begin with so they didn’t see too much over the last year.
But… For ruby_parser… which saw 17(!!) releases in 2012 but only 5 in 2013… I got a bit burnt out on the project, but I’ve had a bit of a comeback. I’ve done 5 releases already this year. I’ve added support for 2.0 and initial support for 2.11. But most importantly, I rewrote the hand-written lexer from scratch using a brand new project: oedipus_lex.
Oedipus Lex is my independent lexer fork of Rexical. Rexical was in turn a fork of Rex. While Oedipus Lex is a cleanroom re-implementation of rexical, but it is also massively extended including proper ruby regexp support, predicate method prerequisites, grouping for extra performance, shortcuts on state changes, and action methods. I love this project for what it has done to the maintainability of ruby_parser, but more importantly, Oedipus Lex makes ruby_parser roughly 60% faster than my highly-optimized hand-written lexer.
I had a lot of fun on the conference circuit in the last year.
So far this year I’ve given one talk at MWRC, Nerd Party v3.1, which was my take on Seattle.rb’s format and how it can work for you.
Please! if you want to help out with ruby_parser (or flog/flay/etc), I could use a PR for the new rational & imaginary lexemes! ↩