ohmygems version 1.2.0 has been released!
Published 2014-06-17 @ 16:59
I’m tired of the complications that tools like bundler and rvm inject
into my system and my workflow. I don’t want 4 billion gems installed
globally. I don’t want to have
rake slow down for no good reason. I
don’t want rvm to regress on undefined variables over and over and
over (and I don’t want to report it anymore when it does). I want as
much simplicity as I can afford and still be able to get my job done.
I’ve found pretty good balance using rbenv (only when needed) and by
using this 45 line shell function
ohmygems (aliased to
I still have my system-level gems as my previous GEM_HOME gets moved into GEM_PATH so things like minitest and autotest are always available. But now I have private gems that are incredibly easy to switch around and only rely on simple environment variables to manage.
To go back to normal, simply run
1.2.0 / 2014-06-17
6 minor enhancements:
- Added ‘omg env’ command to show relevant environment info. (blowmage)
- Added OMG_NAME variable to make it easier to program. (blowmage)
- Added ohmygems_auto. (blowmage)
- Added ohmygems_chruby. (blowmage)
- Expanded help and made prettier.
- Removed env info from normal repo switch handling. (blowmage)
1 bug fix:
- Put gem PATH item in front of original.
- home: https://github.com/seattlerb/ohmygems
- rdoc: http://docs.seattlerb.org/ohmygems